Campbell's Express was founded in approximately
1900. At that time, Mr. Campbell would walk around Philadelphia
and pick up the orders he had received from the local merchants in Pitman
and Glassboro, New Jersey. To manage the parcels, he would tie them
to his body with twine so he wouldn't drop them; and, then, would ride the
train to Pitman. From there, he would deliver his "shipments", one
by one to the local shops.
In 1918, Mr. Campbell purchased his first truck
and, then, used the name "Campbell's Auto Express" to let people know
he had an "Auto" while some were still using horse and buggy.
The company was sold to Mr. Randall Worthington around 1923, and
continued as a 1 to 2 truck operation. In 1935, due to the enactment
of the "Motor Carrier Act", Campbell's Auto Express received its Certificate
of Public Convenience and Necessity. The ICC 109 that it received
is one of the lowest certificates still in existence.
Louis G. Hannum, Sr. and his wife Helen bought the company from
Mr. Worthington in 1945, in addition to the used Ford straight job that
made up the fleet. Ownership was transferred to Mr. & Mrs. Hannum's
children, Cheryl Gallagher and Mike Hannum through 2005. Esther
Gallagher and William Messenger purchased and co-own the company, currently.
Through the years, Campbell's grew from a one
truck operation to a company that operates 78 trucks and employs 145 people.
Even as the company has expanded, the owners have made sure to
stay true to their roots by continuing to provide personalized service,
quality handling and reasonable pricing. With its one terminal
operation, shipments are delivered on an overnight basis to points in
a 150 mile radius of Pitman.